Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Once Again...


First off and most importantly, thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Proof.

On a more personal note: mayne, I’m embarrassed for hip-hop. While I have no clue whether or not Proof’s murder was even instigated by anything even tangentially relevant to hip-hop, I do know that it’s another black eye for our culture. Does anyone have an answer to this madness?

Masculine posturing is needed at times and, in some sense, I suppose I understand the need to “certify one’s gangster”, but I mean damn, let’s control ourselves just a little. Do we really place that little value on life that we feel we have the agency to take it?

Tonight when the evening news comes on, the majority of America is going to hear about Proof’s murder and add this to the long list of reasons why black people and hip-hop culture should never be taken seriously. Why would anyone take either seriously when we’re seemingly content with killing each other off? I’m not saying anything new, but this doesn’t make any damn sense.

The most unfortunate thing about all this is the fact that the particulars that have been released around Proof’s murder are almost conventional in a sense: rapper in a club; rapper gets in argument; rapper gets killed.

No comments: