Monday, June 26, 2006

Reasonable Doubts About Reasonable Doubt Concert

First big shout out to my main man Eric (Corporate Killah) ’05 for hitting a brother up with a ticket to last night’s Reasonable Doubt Concert. I’m a huge fan of Jay’s but after going to the theatre with Lightness to watch Beyond Borders (the movie that he wrote a post about below below), I approached the concert with a more analytical eye than most. Althought the title of this post seems to suggest that I didn't throughly enjoy the concert, I honestly had an amazing time. Below, however, are some reflections that I'd like to share with you all:

Reasonable Doubt #1: Beyonce and Jay-Z have a healthy relationship
Beyond Borders described how the Hip-Hop artists exhibit insecurity through the presentation of the women with which they have relations as not only bountiful, but also expendable. I don’t consider myself a fan of Beyonce or any celebrity for that matter. In fact, I rarely find pulchritude in today’s celebrities. I’m of the opinion that if you put someone behind a camera who is eloquent with words and possesses a smile, the public will make them beautiful. That said, Beyonce looked amazing last night. But you might as well have called her Faith Evans because she ‘gets no love’ from Hov. I was astonished. She walked off stage without so much as a hug from her proclaimed significant other. I don't even think they touched each other when they were on stage together. That just doesn't look like a healthy relationship to me.

Reasonable Doubt #2: Brothers know how to ack in public and sisters know how to dress in public
Sigh…Let’s just say that a gift bag was stolen from the seat next to me and that I almost had to body this young cat for sucking his teeth at me when I told him someone was sitting in a seat that he was trying to commandeer.

Reasonable Doubt #3: Misogyny, homophobia, and violence in Hip-Hop can be countered by holding rappers accountable.
There were moments during the performance where I refused to yell out because the lyrics were so misogynistic and denigrating. It has a little to do with Beyond Border, but a lot more to do with my realization of how crazy the whole event was. There was a moment when I looked around and saw that everyone was throwing up the ROC diamond and yelling HO-VA. It distinctly reminded me of the Nazi salute and I stood in awe of the power that Jay-Z had over the audience. Which brings me to…

Reasonable Doubt #4: People think for themselves during Hip-Hop concerts

Reasonable Doubt #5: Lebron James and Rip Hamilton aren’t thirsty for attention.
Saw these brothers outside Radio City and you would have thought they were working for the UN World Food Programme the way brothers and sisters were trying to get at them. They walked around aimlessly for far too long feeding off of the energy people gave to their egos.

Reasonable Doubt #6: Hip Hop fans know good music
?uestlove along with the accompanying band and orchestra were phenomenal. They brought Reasonable Doubt to life in a way that was new and yet retained the authenticity of the album. Fans didn’t show them much love though when Hov asked them to stand and be recognized . I was a little disappointed by that. In many ways, the production enabled Hov to shine as bright as he did that night.

Reasonable Doubt #7: Jay-Z is on the decline as a rapper
44 fours…No words for that track. I had on a smile as soon as he spit the first few bars which lasted throughout his remarkable delivery. I can’t wait for this track to be released.

Reasonable Doubt #8: Jay-Z is not the best rapper to have ever lived
Those are strong words some of you might say. There were moments during the concert where Jay-Z told his supporting orchestra/band or DJ to turn the music off; moments when Jay told the audience to listen as he recited prophetic lyrics written 10 years ago that embodied genius and skill. Everything he seems to have written then has come to fruition just as he had predicted it would. After last night, I was further convinced that lyrically, Jay can not be touched.

2 comments:

Brother Lightness said...

Our friends at the Village Voice offer their take:

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/statusainthood/archives/2006/06/jayzs_reasonabl_1.php

Special K said...

I reasonably have no reasonable doubt that Jay-Z is arguably but reasonably the greatest rapper alive. Check it out for yourself

http://blip.tv/file/get/MissInfo-lookWhatSomeoneSentMeFromTheJayZConcert595.MPG