Friday, June 09, 2006

Unfounded Prediction for World Cup 2006: Angola to Defeat Portugal

Today, the best athletes in futbol begin treading the path to the World Cup. I’m not the biggest soccer fan. To be honest with you, I wasn’t as interested until I heard that fans were wildin’ and throwing banana peels on the field in an attempt to frustrate and disrespect black players. The publicity that these acts brought to the game prompted me to investigate possible teams that might receive the brunt of these insults from fans. Somewhere along the way I decided I would get involved as a spectator and decided that my team for this year’s World Cup was going to be Angola.

Angola is located in Central Africa and will be competing in Group D. Current ranked 57 in the Fifa/Coca-Cola world ranking, Angola will be facing Portugal in a match this Sunday that is sure to be exciting. They’ve played Portugal twice before; once in 1989 and again in 2001. The last time they played Portugal, Angola lost 5 to 1. In ’89 Portugal walked all over them, leaving the field with a 6 to 0 victory. Fifteen years can make a big difference though. A victory for Angola this Sunday would ensure that I purchase the Puma practice jersey above and let my bangs grow like Angola defender Manuel 'Loco' Cange (pictured right). What makes the match even more interesting is that Angola was a colony of Portugal. Reparations anyone?

No comments: