Thursday, August 10, 2006

24 Hours to Live, What Would You Do?

24 Hours to Live is on my “Work Out” mix. A late night at the office forced me to select this playlist to accompany the mental gymnastics. At the end of one of my cranial somersaults I made a break for the vending machine for the usual, a Snickers bar and Mike & Ike’s Tangy Twister. After pressing the appropriate letter and number combination (F3 and F7), I returned to my desk to consume my spoils. Now normally the stuff that comes out of this vending machine rarely provokes thought. 24 Hours to Live, however, came through my headphones as I walked back to my desk and I started to really think about what I would do if I had 24 hours to live. When I returned to my desk I posed the question in the chorus of the song to a colleague. The following is the transcript from our chat:

Brother Smartness [7:56 PM]:
if you had 24 hours to live
Brother Smartness [7:56 PM]:
just think
Colleague [7:57 PM]:
think about I would do?
Brother Smartness [7:57 PM]:
where would you go?
Brother Smartness [7:57 PM]:
what would you do?
Colleague [7:57 PM]:
oh brother
Brother Smartness [7:57 PM]:
and who would you want to notify
Brother Smartness [7:58 PM]:
or would you deny that you were about to die?
Colleague [7:58 PM]:
well this idea might change for me, but Maine is on my mind, so I think I would spend the day up in Maine on the lake at my family's house
Colleague [7:58 PM]:
just a nice day with them
Colleague [7:59 PM]:
and not tell them
Colleague [7:59 PM]:
or anyone

My colleague had no idea my questions came from Ma$e's song, but it was interesting nonetheless to hear how someone else would spend their final hours.

If you had 24 hours to live, what would you do?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

smack conceited dudes right off the pedestal

Anonymous said...

i'd even look for my dad that i never knew

Brother Spotless said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brother Spotless said...

Seriously, I might just say "Fuck it, eat some fried chicken, and drink a Nantucket."

Brother Smartness said...

Oddly enough, I'd actually spend my last two or three hours somewhere in the Berkshires; preferably in solitude surrounded by greenery and mountains.

What happens before that, however, would be a completely different story.

I doubt I'd smack anybody, and I definitely wouldn't eat fried chicken.

I'd like to put on a fitted cap and baggy jeans and sprint all over midtown with a excited expression on my face so I look like I stole something. Maybe I'd get shot and go out on my own terms. Then I wouldn't make it to the Berkshires, though.

In all seriousness, however, the question is a thought provoking one. It makes me wonder what the meaning of life is, a question for which I have no answer.