Thursday, August 10, 2006

"So I Got Rich And Gave Back, To Me That's The Win Win"

NEW YORK, Aug. 10 (UPI) -- U.S. rap star Jay-Z will travel to countries experiencing drinking water crises for his MTV documentary "Diary of Jay-Z: Water for Life."

Jay-Z announced the tour Wednesday at a United Nations news conference with U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan and MTV President Christina Norman, Billboard.com reported Thursday.

"In the beginning, when I was going out on a world tour, I was going out to play music," he said. "But I said to myself, I can't go to these places I've been and not go out and see the people that have been touched by my music for over 10 years.

"From that morphed, 'Well, I'm not just going to go over there and rap to them.' I'm going to help and see what I can do in these areas."

MTV will also offer educational and Internet resources as part of the program. "By allowing MTV to document his journey, Jay-Z will be mobilizing a whole new generation of young people who may not be familiar with the water crisis to learn about and take action to help those suffering," Norman said.

The documentary will air on MTV worldwide Nov. 24.

2 comments:

Brother Smartness said...

This picture might be even more powerful than the one I posted of Condellezza and Anon a few weeks ago.

Brother Spotless said...

I had similar thoughts about the picture. Maybe not more powerful than the Condi Rice pic, but this says a lot about the true influence of rap (music) and hip hop (culture) at large.

Far be it from me to find fault in people (hey, it's in my nature...I can't help it), but I am finding this to be a bit unsettling. Here's why:

Everyone (blacks, whites, young, old, Republican Democrat -- Americans) blasts rappers and other hip hop representatives whenever they do something embarrassing or shameful. It has become a "rights of passage" to some temporary moral place in our social fiber.

But why don't we praise our hip hop representatives with the same energy when they do something worth our praise? Jay-Z has the opportunity to present our culture as something other than baggy jean wearing, opportunity squandering Baby Hueys, which is how the world sees us. I don't know about the rest of you, but that's a huge opportunity if you ask me. For the 1st time, the most influential member of the culture (well, at least that's what the world sees) is both still alive and holds a corporate position that is not only respectable, but honorable.

Where's Bill Cosby now? He has a bunch to talk about when black folks don't live up to his standards; why not praise someone like Jay-Z now?