Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Star Speaks: "I'll return, but maybe not to hip-hop"

Say what you want about Star, but I'm still riding with him. My favorite quotes from a recent interview with the NY Daily News:

"I'm through with hip-hop radio," he says. "It's not really my music, especially now that I'm 42. It's someone else's, and I'm more of a rock kid anyway... But also, I'm not sure you're ever taken seriously on a hip-hop station. There's a stigma attached to it, and I want people to know I have things to say. I don't need to be on a decoy station."

On being arrested: "Honestly, getting the cold steel on my wrists was quite exhilarating. I'm proud to walk the path Lenny Bruce walked. Many talk it, but few ever get the chance to walk it."

Like Bruce, he says, he "stood up to the system.... The real issue here is free speech. We're a centralized country on our way to becoming totalitarian. We're getting to the point where if you say anything that offends anybody, you have to answer to someone about it."

On Clear Channel: He has also begun referring to Clear Channel as "Fear Channel" and says, "I'm happy to be out of the machine."

What he listens to on the radio: He also says he's listened to little radio.
"If I listen, it's to 1010 WINS for news," he says. "I don't want to be walking down the street snapping my fingers when a G-D bomb goes off in Manhattan."


That's real talk folks. His take on "Fear Channel" and the foolish state of contemporary urban radio cannot be denied.

1 comment:

Brother Spotless said...

Oh Lightness, you're so far in the wilderness you can't see the trees...

Like Bruce, he says, he "stood up to the system.... The real issue here is free speech. We're a centralized country on our way to becoming totalitarian. We're getting to the point where if you say anything that offends anybody, you have to answer to someone about it."

The real issue is not free speech. The real issue is another stupid Hip-Hop beef that went too far. There's nothing to defend about what he said concerning the "Lo Mein Eater" or wanting to slab some Miracle Whip between the cheeks of a 4-year old and take a bite. That sort of speech has never been protected; not now under a conservative President, nor under Clinton..."our" President. He simply went too far.

If you are going to dress me down for defending a Texas RB's liberal use of a Frederick Douglass quote, you should use the same judgement in this situation as well. Starr wasn't standing up to the system. Starr was merely attempting to defend his honor and took things beyond what is reasonable. And that's why he got arrested.

Sure the charges were dismissed, and rightfully so. But does that mean he should be forgiven for making such remarks over the air waves? Not just no, but Hell no.

Clear Channel is the friend of the social conservative, which is no friend of mine. But Starr's situation is not the fault of Clear Channel. From the "Aliyah airplane skit" to his most recent transgression, he's shown that he doesn't understand boundaries.