Wednesday, October 25, 2006

"Conscience Rap"

For the longest time I had the career fantasy (and still do) that I would take my privileged education and use it to uplift the darker hued masses via reforming hip-hop. The older I get, the more idealistic that notion seems, but it's one I can't completely dismiss -- at least not in my 20's.

Enter the Village Voice, which offers a breakdown of the moral dilemma faced by those staffers behind the music videos, magazines and radio waves. Semi-conscious ("semi" because I certainly still have my guilty pleasures) fans like myself also face this dilemma on a seemingly daily basis.

"None of us matter as individuals in the grand scheme of things," he concluded.
"However, we can affect the status of the product and the thought process that
goes behind its creation. If I was not in the industry then it would be much
harder to massively affect anything within it."

Am I deluding myself in thinking that this blog is adding something, no matter how insignificant, to the thought process referenced above?

Check what the Voice had to say

3 comments:

Brother Spotless said...

In many ways it is our responsibility, as black folks who have taken advantage of opportunities given to us, to do what we do.

We challenge our people to take responsibility for themselves, and to see a picture that is larger than what simply entertains. Be proud that you are one of the few who care enough to challenge our culture to be something beyond a rap song.

Anonymous said...

I see that Brother Lightness has finally made a comeback!!!! Feels like Kwanzaa!!!

Anonymous said...

As a former inmate-AHEM- intern of the music industry, I relate COMPLETELY to the plight of people like Tracii McGregor. The decision whether to leave and retain sanity or stay and fight is not at all a collective one. It all depends on what people want from their lives, and their careers, and the synthesis of the two.

To Bros. Lightness-- keep the fight. Its better to do and say something, because you never know who is watching and listening.

On another note, take a look at TRACE magazine. The magazine touts itself as a transcultural magazine, and I think its important to explore the possibilities for hip-hop culture if enough of its people get a taste of what TRACE has to offer.

-F.