Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Father’s Day Comes Twice This Year! Album Review

I waited all morning for Like Father, Like Son, a Birdman and Lil’ Wayne collaboration, that was released at exactly 2:30 am this morning. In lieu of sleep, the cousin of death (copyright Nas), I spent several hours listening to see whether the album in its entirety would be as enjoyable a listen as Stuntin’ Like My Daddy, the album single whose chorus has become a catch phrase in many hip-hop circles.

Unfortunately, I'd be frontin' like a Sade (if Kanye can intonate to facilitate weak rhymes, I would hope you would permit me to do the same to further this weak sentence) if I told you I thoroughly enjoyed the album. The production was as weak as Bush's assertion that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Staying true to his name, Baby dragged down the potential of this album like an unplanned pregnancy. Wayne was as masterful with words and delivery as he has always been, but he truly did himself a disservice by collaborating with Birdman on this one. Most of Wayne's verses on this album were coke (i.e., cocaine, an addictive substance that left me yearning for more). But the fusion of chicken noodle soup (Birdman) and a soda (coke) on the side is not as appetizing as some might have you believe it to be. My intention was to do one review, but I'm obliged to leave you with something positive. My love of Hip-Hop requires me to scrutinize the negative and highlight the positive. That said, I'll quote the oft-quoted Hov in saying that "I'm back before you had a chance to miss me" and I got something for ya. I present to you an album well worth your time. Closet Freak: The Best of Cee-Lo Green the Soul Machine is a great compilation of Cee-Lo Green that will provide a great reference for those of you unfamiliar with his with his musical genius. He is, without question, a phenomenal lyricist. His contribution to the rap game places him in a category of his own. The above album highlights some of his greatest hits; songs that I believe truly epitomize why his style is a necessary addition to the rap game.

6 comments:

Brother Lightness said...

You sure you're not on Green's payroll? You work as hard to put his name out there on any random occasion as a paid member of his street team would.

"Staying true to his name, Baby, dragged down the potential of this album like an unplanned pregnancy."

NEGRO GENIUS!

Brother Spotless said...

There's a starving comic somewhere who needs Brother Smartness on his payroll...

Brother Afrocan said...

This comment has been removed because it linked to malicious content. Learn more.

Brother Smartness said...

Yeah that kissing on the lips to show affection needs to come to an abrupt halt, regardless of how much you care about your "son." Recently, my roommate and I witnessed Diddy doing the same thing to his son.

I'd rather stab myself with in the thigh with a pair of scissors than watch a father and son touch grills.

Anonymous said...

Everyone seems to be posting something, but it doesn’t seem like anyone else has heard this album except brother smartness. Every great album takes time before its greatness is revealed. The lyrical flow of both these brothers is in sync. I believe that everyone is joining this parade because brother smartness is a prominent figure among all of you. By telling you that he felt the album was garbage you have already been dooped into believing it when you have not even heard the album. I guess brother smartness is very smart after all. He has made you believe what you have not heard. The album "Like Father Like Son" is not phenomenal, but it is a good compilation of talented lyricists.

Brother Afrocan said...

Anonymous, if I read the above comments correctly, mine included, no one has made any objective observation about the album. Our commentary has touched on the humorous nature of the review posted by Brother Smartness and the bizzare kissing going on between baby and lil wayne. I dont believe anyone has co-signed with Smartness in either dissing or endorsing the album.