Saturday, November 18, 2006

Big Bird vs Oscar the Grouch: Jay-Z's Himilayan Blunder

Three things immediately come to mind when I look at the above picture:

-Firstly, I’m sure I gave this dude a dollar on the train the other day.
-Second, I’m have this bizarre urge to start singing “Hector, Hector the garbage collector.”
-Lastly, who is Jim Jones? And has he outsmarted one of the most business savvy and wittiest lyricists alive?

Let’s begin with Jim Jones’ latest quote that had me in tears when I heard it.

Addressing Jay-Z:

“Ay yo, tell Nas to buy you a koofi for Christmas so I can smack that…off your head.”

-Jim Jones

After listening to the We Fly High Remix (Feat. Jay-Z, Jim Jones, and Juelz Santana) in its entirety, I was compelled to provide some commentary on this lyrical chess game.

I find it difficult to write this, but Jim Jones (off the mic) is perhaps the best entertainer I know. I’ve disliked the Dipset Capo for quite some time now for several reasons but lately, he’s managed to win my favor. I always found it difficult to respect a self-proclaimed crack slinger who lacked the funds to acquire some Pink Luster and a hair stylist. His cornrow game reminds me of my favorite wool sweater with the annoying fuzz balls. I heard a rumor (probably not true) that Justin Timberlake’s found inspiration for his most recent album upon hearing that Jones was bringing homeless back, i.e. the five o’clock shadow, long john thermal underwear, and a coiffure that resembled that of a finely aged black Barbie doll.

Despite this careless disregard for his appearance, Jones has truly captured my heart. Though he still falls victim to the capitalistic wants (the Maseratti, the belts, etc), he somehow manages to be more comfortable with his appearance than most. If anyone should have a reality TV show, it’s Jim Jones. I’d put money on the fact that people will tune in to see the debauchery in which this man routinely finds himself engaged.

Back to the remix, however.

A question must be looming above many of our heads. What about Jim Jones has stirred up the sleeping giant? Of all the lyricists, Jay-Z could have possible battled, why decide to focus on Jim Jones?

Like his decision to come out of retirement, I’m riding on the hope that Hov has some tricks up his sleeve. (Insert random quote from A Few Good Men )“Please tell me that you have something more, Lieutenant. These two Marines are on trial for their lives. Please tell me that their lawyer hasn't pinned their hopes to a phone bill.”

History tells us over and over again that it is the David that conquers the Goliath. Jim Jones is brilliant because he comprehends the strength of the underdog so well. He’s effectively playing with Jay-Z.

For the longest I had so much respect for the manner in which Jay-Z dealt with Cam’ron and others. Pebbles were thrown at the throne and he dealt with them effectively by not acknowledging any of it on wax. Then in a act of sheer genius he surreptitiously addressed these pebbles with one “CANNON!” of a verse: “I’m in the air, I don’t hear N*gg*S corny raps.”

This should have been sufficient but rather than side step the small rocks that Jim Jones was throwing, in responding Jay-Z, effectively turned those pebbles into boulders. The sole beneficiary in all of this seems to be Jim Jones, who will most certainly receive a significant boost in sales from this fiasco. Jones himself admits this in an interview with AllHipHop: “I appreciate you Jay, givin’ me extra BDS. That’ll probably take me up another thousand spins or something like that.”

I leave you with several things about Jones that you can ponder as you decide whether it was appropriate/beneficial/intelligent for Jay-Z to address this beef on wax.

Jones has:

-Threatened to administer wedgies in lieu of actual scrapping with an individual

-Come up with the add-lib of the year (BALLIN’)

-Prefaced the intro to the above mentioned Remix by referring to Jay-Z as an “the old people” and an “old head”

Jim Jones Quotes from the AllHipHop interview:

Personally? It’s a couple feelings. To get Jay-Z to bite the bullet was a hell of a chess game, ‘cause he thinks he’s always playin’ chess. So right now, [I got a] check for his ass, ‘cause he sold for the bait. He said Jim Jones’ name a couple weeks ago on HOT 97, that was his first mistake, nobody ever thought he’d do that ‘ If I’m supposedly not on his level, when he’s supposed to be this rich dude and such this gangsta. [laughs] That was his first mistake. And then he bit the bullet and did the remix to ‘We Fly High’ [titled ‘Brooklyn High’], which I appreciate.”

“It ain’t in no more room up here. [laughs] I got this old n***a. His jump shot is weak, his knees is bad, his swagger is gone.”

3 comments:

Brother Lightness said...

I've been peeping Jimmy's tact as well. Dude is definitely giving hip-hop heads something to bullshit about, if nothing else.

Brother Spotless said...

It's interesting that J felt he had to respond to Jones. Is it possible that J isn't as confident as he says, and he felt he had to respond in order to make everyone believe that he is still relevant? I don't claim to have the answer, but it seems plausable...

Brother Darkness said...

Yes, I too have noticed Jim's tact and strategy. If he were smart he'd have an album or something in the midst of debuting. But I'm not gonna believe that Jay-Z has lost his confidence.

It's sort of like a parent ignoring a noisy child in the car on a long road trip. The child won't shut the hell up for the first half of the trip. Finally you're halfway thru and you're tired of his whining and bitching and asking you "Are we there yet?" So you turn around and slap him once. You know, nothing hard but just to let him know you're there.

I'm not giving Jim Jones that much props for what he's doing because I believe Dame and Cam are the mastermind behind all of this. Their grudge with Jay is bigger than Jim is simply their pawn in this chess game.