Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving Reflections

A few random reflections I figured I would share with you all:

I used up several hundred minutes yesterday morning conversing with longtime friends. Why don’t cell phone carriers provide free or subsidized minutes on select national holidays?

I spent a good 15 minutes with the family talking about the origins of Thanksgiving namely, the widespread massacre of Native Americans. The history of Thanksgiving is unfortunate, but the notion of giving thanks for our blessings is encouraging. Why don’t we ever discuss the truth behind this holiday on a national scale?

I wonder what percentage of Native Americans has negative feelings toward the holiday.

The notion of Thanksgiving in warm weather is foreign to me. With no foliage and brisk climate, I wonder how Americans get down on the west coast/south.

The notion of Thanksgiving in a house is, likewise, foreign to me. My family has celebrated this holiday in an apartment for as long as I can remember.

Conversely, the notion of Thanksgiving without a patriarch is all too common for me. The eldest of men at our gathering was my cousin (24 yrs old). I said the prayer and my brother (18 yrs old) carved the turkey. Pops passed when I was young, but the thought that same scenario exists for a plethora of inner city families is both sad and interesting.

Text messaging during holidays seems to have replaced cards. I have mixed feelings about that. Though I’m thankful for having received text messages from friends, I can’t help but feel that the same message was sent to other people.

I think the Friday after Thanksgiving should be a mandatory day of exercise rather than shopping. One of the things I hear many people say we are thankful for on Thanksgiving is our health. It’s ironic we give thanks for our health and then insalubriously gorge ourselves.

Rarely if ever do we actually sit down as a family to break bread and converse for more than 15 minutes. That’s the consequence of growing up in NY (especially the hood); too many things to do and far too many distractions. So yesterday, I was thankful for the opportunity to turn off the TV, watch my mom cry in laughter as she recounted stories, exchange whispers with my youngest sister about the boy she likes from school, address the castigation from my family about my choice to become a vegan (for the record, my mom never found the verse in the Bible that said that God told man to eat meat), and bask in the joy of the company of loved ones. (Shout out to my sister and her son who didn’t make it out. It would have been all the greater had you been with us.)

On behalf of all our brothers, I extend peace and blessings to all our readers and your families. We hope your Thanksgiving was full of joy and family and that you continue to be blessed.

Smartness out

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

An answer to your reflection on Native Americans and the holiday.

http://www.pilgrimhall.org/daymourn.htm