Monday, February 12, 2007

Luda Won; So What??

The outcry against Luda's victory is a bit perplexing to me because it seems as though there was some expectation that Grammy judges have a full appreciation of the music, the art, the culture, or anything else relevant to this discussion. I don't think he should have won; I don't even think he should have been nominated. But it is clear that Luda has become one of the more accessible (read: mainstream) rap artists we have, based on his album's commentary and his commercial appeal (on a side note: it will be very interesting to watch T.I's accessibility grow each time Chevy airs that commercial with him and Dale Earnheardt Jr...).


Furthermore, since when has a Grammy been anything except a mainstream award? Well, there was last year when Three Six Mafia won (and performed). Best believe that won't happen again...None of the other artists nominated have the mainstream cred (which I guess equates to the opposite of street cred) that Luda possesses. With that in mind, we shouldn't be suprised that the Grammy judges awarded Ludacris for his work.

The Grammy Awards is usually the safest musical award show of the year. The award is far more representative of mainstream and popular culture than artistic relevance, and I'd rather it be that way. Let the people who know art judge its value...


My 2 cents...

1 comment:

optimuscrime said...

1) Luda won a Grammy?! Bahahaha. I'm glad that the members of the Academy were as swayed by the artistic merits of 'Money Maker' as I was. "Lemme give you some swimming lessons on the penis / Backstroke, breaststroke, stroke of a genius."

2) W-t-fuck is up with luda's sideburns?