Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Random Thoughts...


  • I attended a birthday party for a 1-yr old this past weekend. It was a Caribbean party so, while there were young children in attendance, the birthday of young Liam (no, he’s not British, simply Trini-American) was an excuse to party (they like to lime…). Young Liam is a very interesting 1-yr old. First, he is large for his age, which surprised me because his parents are both rather small. Second, he seems to be a very intelligent child. I know that you're thinking most parents will tell you how smart their child is, but when you look at the kid you can see remedial education written all over its face. However, these parents spoke no words concerning his intelligence, and as I watched how young Liam approached different situations, his movements seemed far more calculated than what I thought was possible for a 1-yr old. For instance, while he was running around the house he encountered a room too small for the amount of people occupying the space. Instead of simply bouncing from one standing leg to the other or simply avoiding the room as most 1-yr olds would do, he surveyed the entire canvas and mapped out his path before entering. There was nothing accidental in how he navigated between what must have seemed like walking tree trunks. I peeped his analytical skills several times that night. Needless to say, I was impressed by the intelligence that young Liam seems to possess.

  • Jayden, Jaden (or anything else pronounced [JAY’ den]) has replaced Jamal as the most overused name in black America.
  • I am sick of Elmo, but I realized that two years ago. Apparently, I need to start a Facebook group to campaign for the demise of Elmo toys in order to hammer this message home. Young Liam, who already owned two Tickle Me Elmos, received a “Dress-Up” Elmo, a “Laughing” Elmo, a “Bitch, Where’s My Money” Elmo, and a “Nappy Headed Hoe” Elmo (although, I could be wrong about the last two…). I don’t have any real problem with Elmo, although he and Telly always battled for the “Most Annoying Sesame Street Character” Award during my extreme youth. Nevertheless, I got over it and tolerated both. However, understanding that my annoyance levels were particularly high when Elmo graced the screen should let you know that I have never been a fan of the Elmo franchise. There are simply better Sesame Street characters. Forget Big Bird; by the time I stopped watching the show, he/she/it (anyone know Big Bird’s gender?) was approaching Beyonce-level overexposure. But there were other quality characters on The Block: Grover, Cookie Monster, The Count, Roosevelt Franklin. Any one of these characters would make a more sensible toy franchise, simply because they taught children more. Elmo reminded me too much of an annoying child who asks too many questions, even way back then. And he constantly referred to himself in the third-person; who does that?
  • Snoop Dogg is correct in his message that what he does and what Don Imus does are different. How insightful! Truthfully, Imus got in trouble, but not for his racist or sexist remarks (he has said both in abundance over his 38-yr career). He got in trouble for picking on college kids, whereas his previous comments have been about politicians, athletes, celebrities…all adults. Snoop is and has been guilty of a different (and some intelligent and thoughtful individuals would say more egregious) crime. If we run with the assumption that rappers are the mouthpieces of the ‘hood (which I dispute, but rappers believe it so I’ll go along), then Snoop raps about an experience shared by everyone in the black community. Continuing with this theme, no one is better than anyone else in the ‘hood; not the pimps, playas’, prostitutes, single mothers, crackheads, hustlers, etc. Yet women are the only people he degrades. I will spare you the “women are the cradle of our civilization” rhetoric, and simply say that ignorant intelligence (or intelligent ignorance, whichever you prefer) is very prevalent in the ‘hood, and it doesn’t discriminate.
  • The Virginia Tech killings made for a truly surreal moment. I have not fully wrapped my brain around the fact that this was the deadliest shooting rampage in US history. The facts of this dreadful case will surely come out, so I won’t speculate (I’ve learned my lesson, Duke). I will say that my prayers go out to the families and friends of the individuals killed, wounded, or impacted in any way. Tragedies are often politicized, and this will surely follow suit. Democrats have already ratcheted up rhetoric to limit access to guns, and Republicans are using this as an anti-immigration issue (the shooter was of Asian descent, and his immigration status is apparently in question. Yes, I saw that point made…). As that political fight eventually consumes us, we have to remember the fact that people were killed; innocent lives were lost. I believe if we keep that in mind, a positive political outcome will result. Sadly, this is simply wishful thinking on my part as this never happens, and I doubt it will occur in this instance.

4 comments:

Funmi said...

the news officially identified the male (Cho Seung-Hui, 23) as a "resident alien." For an unscrupulous and insensitive politician, this could be a chance to deflect attention from gun policy to immigrant policy.

Brother Lightness said...

I thought the same thing Funmi.

Funmi said...

I am officially boycotting Dateline. They interviewed the man at the Roanoke gun shop basically chiding him for selling a gun to Cho Seung-Hui. Lets think about that a moment. An unobtrusive Asian college student. Yeah. Right. And of course, this man at the gun shop should have known that those damned resident aliens are trouble, to say nothing about the white male shooters at Columbine, Kent State (way back when), U of T etc. Nice.

If Dateline wants to address pertinent issues with regards to this shooter, maybe start with Virginia politicians and NRA supporters with their lax gun control policies- stop accepting their "no comment."

PS-- I am really questioning the state of journalistic integrity. I kept my eyes and ears plugged to visual and print media, and it is shocking how reporters attempt to sensationalize an already sensational event.

Brother Spotless said...

It's the Fox New Era, where real news and entertainment news are run by the same executive producers...