Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Brief Thoughts on the Contemporary Relevance of Historically Black Colleges and Universities


I wanted to share a brief note I penned to Smartness and Spotless with our readers:
So I spent this past weekend in VA to see one of my very good friend's from high school graduate from Hampton's School of Pharmacy with his doctorate -- proud isn't even the word.

While some have questioned the contemporary relevance of HBCUs, -- at times, myself included -- sitting among thousands of proud friends and family members to celebrate the collective achievement of a group of black students generated a feeling of pride that is simply beyond expression.

With all that ails Black America, Hampton's graduation was really demonstrative, at least to me, of what is really right within our community.
As I sat through the commencement exercise, I contemplated how very different my college experience would have been, had I elected to attend an HBCU. While I certainly don't regret my decision to attend Williams, I know that I would have had just as much, if not more, opportunity, and a significantly stronger support system, had I attended an HBCU.

What say you Negro graduates of "Ivory Towers"?

No comments: