Friday, May 25, 2007

I Can't Wait!!

One of my fondest summer memories includes me anxiously anticipating the “summer jam.” Whether the song was rap or R&B didn’t matter, so long as it placed its signature on that summer. What made this occurrence even better was that the song usually dropped within the last month of school. That meant I could enjoy it during the end of the year dance, through the summer, and have instant reminiscent thoughts during the first month of school.

LL’s “Doin’ It” shared the spotlight with The Fugees’ “Killing Me Softly” during the Summer of ’96. A Tribe Called Quest blessed us with “Award Tour” during the dog days of ’93. And who can forget Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff gracing us with “Summertime,” an instant cultural classic during the summer of ’91. These songs bring back too many childhood memories to count, which is why every year around this time, no matter how discouraged I have become with the lack of quality music, I will eagerly await the next summer jam.

But if Akon has anything to do with this summer’s jam, I may be forced to vomit in my mouth…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAO!!!!!!

solgenique said...

You didn't list any recent summer jams. The last two I can remember are Crazy In Love, 2003, and Lean Back/Rock Away(?), 2004.

What were the last two?

Brother Spotless said...

It hurts my soul to know that "Lean Back" registers as a Summer Jam...

"Promiscuous Girl" was last summer's jam, which was ok by me.

Not sure about 2005. "We Belong Together" by Mariah Cary? "Gold Digger" by Kanye?? "Don't Cha" by the Pussycat Dolls???

Full Disclosure: during the summer of 2005 I enjoyed "Beverly Hills" by Weezer more than all of those songs except Gold Digger...

solgenique said...

Oh, yeah. Those sound familiar. "Promiscuous Girl?" Really? There wasn't a better song last summer?

Eve's "Tambourine" sounds like a good contender for this year's summer jam. Good beat, "Spirit Fingers"-like accompanying dance moves, and a catchy hook..."gotta luh dat."

Brother Spotless said...

"Tambourine" has the feel of a solid summer jam, but it has one flaw: Swizz Beatz.

Don't get me wrong, Swizz is very good at what he does. However, his songs possess a short shelf life, at least in my book.

When a song with a Swizz beat is released, it gets everyone excited and ready to party; a real club banger. But after about 5 weeks of radio and club play, I resemble Cameron Diaz' brother in "There's Something About Mary" (read: I go crazy). That's not the signature I'd like left on this summer...

Where's Missy when you need her??

Anonymous said...

Kanye will deliver this summer.