Sunday, September 09, 2007

Study Well

One of the most important, yet often times overlooked, aspects of the first few weeks of law school concerns how one studies. When most people think about law school, their imaginations immediately teleport to some version of frantic studying till the wee hours of the morning. While there is a bit of truth to that representation (I do find myself up at 2am more times than I care for), understanding how to study efficiently would probably alleviate some of those fears.

It is necessary to have a firm understanding of how one best studies in order to be successful. The earlier in the game one figures this out, the better. This may seem like an obvious statement, but if you believe that you’d be surprised to find the amount of people who don’t know how they best study.

Should I study on a day-to-day basis, allowing myself to keep up with the daily readings? Should I complete a week’s worth of studying for certain classes during the weekend, providing my weekday schedule with some flexibility? Is there another way altogether? And which way provides me with the least amount of stress? When do I want to take a moment for myself: weekend or weekdays? These questions, along with others, are of utmost importance, and it is essential that one provides answers for them. It has to be detrimental to ones psyche to have to approach the mountainous amounts of reading assigned without knowing which method of approach is best.

It would be unwise for me to believe I have “THE” answer, simply because there is no one way to skin this cat. What works for me won’t work for some. However, I have recognized that those who have a regimen and stick to it religiously have awakened in the midst of fewer cold sweats than those who are still searching for the light.

2 comments:

Brother Smartness said...

I'm bookmarking these posts. Come next fall I'll velo bind them and keep them by my bed post along with my King James Bible and Quran.

solgenic said...

Spot on advice, Brother Spotless.

Went through college without a plan for studying... "survived," for the most part. What KILLED me? Coming up with a great idea and realizing the time I had left myself to complete the task wouldn't allow for its exploration.

"I work better under pressure." Ugh! The lies we tell ourselves...