Tuesday, October 16, 2007

As Much As Things Change, They Remain The Same...

I am a firm believer that after a certain point folks stop maturing, yet it is the circumstances they find themselves in that grow in importance. So in many ways, the social life in law school is very similar to the social life I experienced in undergrad. Whenever I went out back then, the old adage, “where I’m going is not going to be fun, but the people there will make it fun” (well, it’s an old adage in the Berkshires…). The same is true for law school, but for different reasons. Here, it really doesn’t matter if the place I’m going to is fun, because there isn’t much time for such enjoyment; I just need a drink. It’s not like fun places and cool individuals would be hard to find; NYC is a 20 minute train ride away. But in the amount of time it takes to get ready, travel to the train, take the subway to the final destination, get a drink, have some fun, and do all of that traveling to get back home, I could have done a lot of case briefing for class. Is this the best use of my time? Clearly not, especially considering what I now know to be a fact that whenever I am not in front of a law book, I am thinking that I ought to be. So why bother with all of that? Just get me to the nearest bar!

This attitude that I have adopted from my law school elders brings me to my point: if a law student is not in front of a book, he/she is in front of a glass of hard alcohol. I am sure that this stressful law school environment has forced many to the point of (at least) slight alcohol addiction, and the amount of alcohol related moments falls on the ridiculous side of reason.

It is really a pitiful sight to watch two 30+ individuals drunkenly make out at the bar…

No comments: