Thursday, March 06, 2008

Sixty Days and Counting...

"Ce n'est pas vrai! Eh kele kele! Si cette homme ici me passait dans la rue, j'aurais pensé qu'il était juste un autre Américain."

'juste un autre Américain'...a gift and a curse. And in a few months we'll find out if it's more of the former than the latter.

'juste un autre Américain'

But alas, I'm an African-American!

I owe a few words of thanks to Brother Jesse for coining that term. It connected the black people in this country to the continent. More importantly, however, the term further extended my already extended family.

The word African-American, in its own way, made me an ally to the post civil rights struggle- a struggle that I inherited by virtue of my skin and the manner in which it colored my experience. It also gave me a great pride in my culture and a great appreciation of the beauty of my ancestors.

But it was the concept of justice and the hope that I might one day see it realized that brings me this very place today.

It's only fitting that the basis for my solidarity with the black American plight would be the basis for my solidarity with the African plight.

So as I ready myself to embark on the next leg of this journey, I've decided to share my experience.

J'espere que sa sera utile.

No comments: