Friday, March 27, 2009

"Barring All Upsets"

Each year, for the past five years, my bracket has tasted glory only to masticate defeat by the time the elite eight rolled around. So this year I decided to incorporate some science into my decision making.

I caught an interview on CNN with a Georgia Tech engineer who, with the assistance of other engineers, came up with a algorithm called Logistic Regression Markov Chain (LRMC). The algorithm was supposed to take several factors into account such as scoreboard data and home court advantage. But don't waste your time googling it, because it does not work.

"Barring all upsets," this GT engineer stated, Memphis, Louisville, Pitt, and NC will make it to the Final Four with NC becoming National Champions. I should have thought about that statement when he made it. What sense is an algorithm if you can't incorporate the one factor that makes this time of the year utter madness? Upsets are compulsory.

Suffice it to say, after Memphis' loss at the hands of Mizzou last night, I am no longer in the running for that lump sum payout. For the record, Marquette should have beat Missouri last week. (How you get called for a line violation with 5.5 seconds left in the game is beyond me).

No comments: