Friday, June 26, 2009

Eulogy for the King of Pop

It is important for me to say a few words by way of praise, about Michael Jackson, a shining star whose brilliance can never be extinguished.

I was in a meeting last night when someone interrupted us to announce his death. Admittedly, I was incredulous. When the reality of the truth set in, I was overcome with an immense sadness. I thought of the millions of people, who like me, loved this man. Although I was in this small meeting, outside there was a collective experience of people coming to grips with this death; and knowing that I was a part of that amplified the sense of loss.

As a former DJ, I can tell you that one of my bread and butter tracks was Billy Jean. People went crazy for that track, or any Michael track for that matter. I don't know of many songs that have that type of universal appeal 20+ years after their release. Michael's autobiography indicates that he wanted to have a big family. I believe he accomplished this by giving birth to so many classic songs that have managed to forever capture his energy and life.

Perhaps one of the most intriguing personalities of our generation, Michael embodied cool and yet managed to have such a great love for his fans.

I leave you with some lyrics that capture my own sense of loss quite accurately:

Got some bad news this morning
Which in turn made my day
When this someone spoke I listened
All of a sudden has less and less to say
Oh how could this be
All this time I've lived vicariously
Who's gonna save my soul now
Who's gonna save my soul now
How will my story ever be told now
How will my story be told now

Made me feel like somebody
Like somebody else
Although he was imitated often

It felt like I was being myself
Is it a shame that someone else's song
Was totally and completely depended on

Who's gonna save my soul now?
Who's gonna save my soul now?
I wonder if I'll live to grow old now
Getting high cause I feel so low down
And maybe it's a little selfish
All I have is the memory
Yet I never stopped to wonder
Was it possible you were hurtin' worse than me
Still my hunger turns to greed
Cause what about what I need
Who's gonna save my soul now
Who's gonna save my soul now
How will my story ever be told now
How will my story be told now

No comments: