Monday, June 22, 2009

"I'm Back Before You Had a Chance to Miss Me"

There are several factors that have contributed to the dearth of writing on our blog that I will articulate below.

I should say from the outset that I speak only for myself; I do, however, firmly believe that my brothers will agree with at least some of the reasons for not posting.

First, the insights we may have once made available to the public are now confined to an internal thread. Yet even on these internal threads our commentary is few and far between. I can only speak for myself, but I have reason to believe that while the articles are always interesting, my own comments don't always add substance. So rather than say something pointless, I don't say anything at all. This is quite ironic given the next reason.

Second, the time and thought it takes to put together a post does not have a significant pay-off. In the past we used to have 5-15 responses to a post of substantial length. As our readership has dwindled, so too have the comments and the incentive to post. One could argue that the love of writing alone should be incentive enough, but that's simply unrealistic. Which brings me to my next reason...

Third, we have lives that have become ever more demanding on our leisure time. Most bloggers with successful blogs are either doing it for a living or doing it at work on someone else's dollar. We don't have that luxury and/or audacity, respectively.

Fourth, I think our posts were too lengthy. A good rule of thumb is that if it isn't going into print, you shouldn't have to click a next page link.

Finally, I think our substance was lacking. In a world with low attention spans and accessible information at our finger tips, the allure of pictures and you-tube videos has made journalism increasing difficult. Now, I don't pretend for a second that we are journalist, but the fact of the matter is that at a certain point we did a lot less writing and a lot more posting.

No comments: